Wednesday, September 21, 2016

The Girls by Emma Cline Book Review



I knew this book was coming up on my book club reading list so I had reserved it at my local library. All I can say is it's a good thing I didn't pay for it.

It's 1969 and fourteen-year-old Evie Boyd is a bored and lonely teenager. Her parents are too involved with their own problems to pay much attention to poor Evie so, when she meets an older girl named Suzanne, Evie is smitten. Suzanne introduces Evie to Russell, a clever cult leader who knows exactly what to do and say to convince little lost children to do his bidding.

I HATED the author's writing style. It read like a never-ending, rambling and ridiculously bad poem. There were words for pages and pages, yet nothing of great importance was ever said. The characters were so poorly and superficially developed I literally could not care about any of them.

The glaring period discrepancies made me wonder who researched 1969. There were too many things that just did not ring true to the time period. I got the feeling that there was such a rush to publish this awful book that no one took the time to do the proper editing and research.

What I find extremely interesting is that there is very little information to find on Ms. Emma Cline. A pretty, photogenic face does not an author make. Skip this one. It's been hyped up and that's about it. A very poor retelling of the Manson story.

1 out of 5 Stars
Bob 

No comments:

Post a Comment